FORWARD

forward \ˈfȯr-wərd \ adj 1 : The beginning of a movement, see DIRECTION

Friday, March 13, 2015

broke


broke  \'brōk\ n 1: having just enough money to provide for food, gas, utilities and shelter but never all four in the same month 2 : largely responsible for dysfunctional mentalities, see GHETTO  3 a : the economic condition I have lived in for most of my life < I been broke > b :  I often need a break after months of being broke.  My last broke break was a year ago when I went on a road trip to Tampa.  Checked into a hotel by the beach, one that had just been renovated and under new management so the rates were cheap enough to lure people back to what was once the favorite spot for crackheads, or “new friends” to meet after the night club and wake up the next morning embarrassed by what they did while drunk the night before.  Once checked into their refurbished room, I lounged by the pool with a mojito and pretended to read the local newspaper until a man came up to offer another cocktail.  I engaged in polite conversation as a way of saying “Thank you, I really don’t need this drink but I like the buzz that temporarily makes me forget that I’m too broke to be here.”  He offered me another one, but I declined so I could drive myself to PF Chang’s where I ordered two appetizers for my meal: the sautéed spinach and tofu lettuce wraps, brown rice instead of white with plenty of the spicy red sauce on the side.  And of course, a glass (or two) of wine.  Pleased with the service, I left a 20% tip because I knew the waitress was just as broke as I was, which left me with enough money to buy coffee and gas for the drive home.  Total cost: $160.  The time I spent pretending that I wasn’t broke: priceless.

No comments: